Data & GIS intern
FracTracker internships are dedicated to current college and graduate students, as well as recent grads. Applicants should enjoy working with datasets, visualizations, and maps as well as analyzing and writing about oil, gas, and petrochemical issues. FracTracker is offering two paid internships from February 1 through April 22, 2022 in collaboration with the following offices: Pittsburgh, PA and Cleveland, OH. These positions are expected to be 100% remote depending on public health conditions. See where we work.
Learn more about FracTracker’s internship program and explore the work past intern projects here.
Interns are expected to work 10 hours per week for $12 an hour.
The responsibilities of paid interns revolve around the daily work of the other FracTracker staff, time-sensitive projects, and the interns’ own areas of interests. Responsibilities will vary, but may include:
- Data mining, cleaning, management, and GIS mapping
- Limited spatial analyses using GIS software
- Translation of data into blog posts
- Communications support, including website development, content creation, and other tasks as needed
*For individuals applying for an internship with the Cleveland, Ohio, office please note: this position would be largely focused on mining nontraditional data sources for storytelling purposes.
- GIS/mapping; Experience with ArcGIS
- Writing and editing; Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Citizen science
- Data management; Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Website development; Knowledge of WordPress
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a remote setting
- Strong written and verbal communication and adherence to deadlines
- Audio editing (applicable to the position reporting to the FracTracker Cleveland office)
- Enrollment in or recent graduation from an accredited college or university is required. Majors can include geography, computer science, environmental science, public health, planning or a related field.
- Interest in the mission of FracTracker; Familiarity with environmental justice issues
- Knowledge of environmental and/or public health concerns or other issues of relevance to understanding the implications of oil and gas extraction and climate change
Learning & Training Objectives
- Data mining, cleaning, management, and mapping
- GIS mapping and practical use
- Georeferenced research
- Project development and management
Dependent on the FracTracker office you work with, your supervisor will be Ted Auch, the Great Lakes Program Coordinator, or Matt Kelso, Manager of Data & Technology.
To apply for one of our spring 2022 internship positions, please submit the following materials through the online application form below: cover letter, resume, and three references. FracTracker does not accept applications via email, but you may address questions to Rebecca Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: November 19, 2021 at 5:00pm EST.
Interviews will be conducted during the period of November 29—December 10, 2021, and a decision made by December 17, 2021. FracTracker will contact all applicants regarding the outcome of their application.