Mechanical Engineering Co-op (Summer 2022-May Start)
At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you’re an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you’ll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
What to Expect in our Co-op Program:
Expand your technical and professional skills in a real-world setting. Emerson co-ops are given meaningful work, support, and mentorship from experienced managers and key business leaders. There is the potential to gain knowledge and experience in a variety of ways by exploring opportunities associated with your major and rotating through multiple departments.
What We Offer:
• Competitive compensation, flexible dress code policy, and paid holidays
• Housing stipends for eligible students and a list of nearby housing options for relocation
• Access to our newly renovated fitness center and wellness program
• Opportunities for networking and professional development
Our co-ops are a key talent pipeline for full-time employment opportunities after graduation at our many locations.
Emerson’s global Professional Tools business offers the broadest portfolio of reliable tools and technologies for those in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing trades! With unparalleled expertise from RIDGID, Greenlee and Klauke, we deliver trusted products that provide dependable performance to handle the industries’ toughest challenges.
Work assignments will rotate through the following areas based on the student’s level of academic achievement:
Engineering Lab – Exposure to a variety of products in our product line working closely with lab technicians and engineers to assist in conducting ‘hands-on’ feasibility studies of new product concepts or competitive evaluations. This will include learning to use a variety of lab equipment and gaining experience analyzing test data and presenting test results.
Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) – Exposure to the latest computer-aided engineering technology working closely with designers, drafters, and engineers to assist in the design and development of new products.
Product Engineering – exposure to the new product development process working closely with product development engineers on new projects. This will include but is not limited to, engineering analysis, failure analysis, finite element analysis (FEA), etc. The student will gain an increased understanding of all the steps in the process to develop a robust product that meets the customer’s requirements.
AS A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CO-OP, YOU WILL:
• Assist with setting up and conducting tests and gathering data
• Analyze test data and learn data analysis techniques
• Write test lab reports
• Learn to use CAD (Solid Edge) for 3D modeling of parts and assemblies
• Use CAD to create new design concepts and detailed drawings
• Assist engineers in product development and sustaining engineering activities
• Learn to troubleshoot problems and develop creative solutions
• The final work period includes a design project where the student is responsible for conceptual design, necessary computations, CAD layout, drawing generation, coordinating prototype build, testing, and debugging design for the assigned project
• Every semester includes a final presentation to VP Engineering, engineering leaders, and engineering staff to report on activities and what was learned from assignments
WHO YOU ARE:
You stay aligned with your goals and stay productive. You focus on creating an effective collaborative style. You prepare content for communication that is impactful.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• Undergraduate student currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
• Ability to work full-time in the scheduled semester
• Ability to return for multiple co-op rotations prior to graduation
• Legal authorization to work in the United States - Sponsorship will not be provided for this role
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• Undergraduate student currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
• Demonstrated hands-on mechanical aptitude highly desirable (i.e. auto, lawnmower, go-cart repair, building things, etc.)
• Practical experience with hand or power tools is a definite plus
Emerson places a high value on ensuring that employees have a good work-life balance. We provide access to a competitive benefits package, including the following: medical insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401k participation, fitness center, holiday pay, and an online wellness rewards program. Employee resource groups, including Diversity and Inclusion committee, Women In Stem, LGBTQ+ Allies, and our Veterans Group, ensure that the Emerson values are incorporated into everyday employee life.
Flexible Work Schedule
This role has the flexibility of a core hour schedule. You can choose to flex your start and stop times given you are working during the core hours of 9:00am - 3:00pm. Our teams work together to ensure our chosen work schedules enable our creativity and productivity as we serve the needs of our customers.
Why Work in the Greater Cleveland Area
This role is located in our World HQ in Elyria (just a little west of Cleveland), Ohio USA.
Our facility is located in Elyria, OH which is conveniently located within driving distance to Cleveland. The area’s generally low costs of living, excellent school systems and low crime rates create a family-friendly environment. The area is home to several growing communities with restaurants, festivals, shopping, and arts scenes that make them exciting places to live and work.
About our Location
Since the invention of the modern pipe wrench in 1923, the 25-acre RIDGID world headquarters in Elyria, Ohio has been developing tools that help trades professionals tackle jobs faster, safer, and more accurately. Today, more than 600 employees work in 734K sq. ft. of office and manufacturing space. The campus is also home to a factory tool service center and a state-of-the-art “School House” training center that educates and trains hundreds of tradespersons annually. In addition to the iconic wrench, the campus manufactures RIDGID battery hydraulic tools, pipe and electrical tools, and drain cleaning components, as well as Greenlee step bits and knock out tools. Emerson’s Professional Tools business provides the industry’s broadest portfolio of advanced, reliable tools and technologies for the mechanical, electrical and plumbing trades.