Natural Resources Stewardship Intern, Summer 2022
I Job Overview:
Job Title: Stewardship Intern
Department: Facilities Operations, and Natural Resources
Classification: Non-exempt, Hourly.
Job Type: Part time, Monday - Friday, occasional evenings and weekends
Job Status: Employee, Temporary; +/-20 hours/week for 10 weeks,
starting early June 2022
Reports to: Natural Resources Manager
Supervisory Role: No
Travel: No – local/Ohio
II Job Summary:
The Natural Resources Stewardship intern is responsible for assisting the Natural Resources Manager in the stewardship of the Nature Center property and serving as a liaison with the public via educational programming, outreach events and volunteer experiences.
III Job Responsibilities & Duties:
A. Natural Resources Management (70%):
The Stewardship Intern will work closely with the Natural Resources staff and the Director of Facilities Operations managing the Nature Center’s twenty acres of natural habitats. The habitats, include riparian flood plain, marsh, upland forest and demonstration prairie, and are managed under the guidelines of the Nature Center’s Natural Resources Management Plan; the intern will assist in the implementation of this plan. Tasks will include invasive plant control using herbicide and manual techniques, reintroduction of native species, and stewardship of natural areas including maintaining trails, boardwalks, deer exclosures, signage, and demonstration features such as butterfly, rain, and native plant gardens. The successful candidate will work primarily in the outdoors, sometimes under physically strenuous conditions.
B. Volunteer Leadership (20%):
The Stewardship Intern will work closely with and supervise volunteers. Under the direction of the Natural Resources Manager, the intern will lead groups or individual volunteers on work projects. The Stewardship intern will be a resource for plant identification and proper field techniques. In addition, the Stewardship intern is responsible for managing the Stewardship Center building and the maintenance of tools and equipment.
C. Events and Public Programs (8%): The Stewardship Intern may assist with environmental and sustainability programming and special events with topics such as stewardship, rain barrels, composting, native landscaping and gardening.
D. Other (2%):
● Inter-departmental assistance.
● Other duties as assigned.
IV Required Qualifications & Skills:
● High school diploma
● A strong interest in the natural world
● Basic PC and Microsoft Office comprehension
V Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
● Current or recent education in biology, ecology, environmental sciences or related field
● Work or volunteer experience in habitat management is a plus
● Coursework, knowledge, or interest in learning sustainability topics
● Coursework, knowledge, or interest in Ohio local and invasive flora and fauna
VI Working Conditions:
● The Intern will work outdoors in various weather conditions. This includes heat, cold, snow, ice, sleet & rain.
● The Stewardship Intern will also perform occasional work indoors in an office setting.
● Position requires lifting up to 30lbs., climbing, kneeling, sitting, bending, strenuous physical activity, digging, cutting and hand and power tool use.
● Examples: Installation of potted native trees and shrubs, removal of invasive species via mechanical and chemical means.
VII Compensation: $10 per hour
VII Application Procedure:
Subject Line: Natural Resources Stewardship Intern
Recommended: Cover Letter
Posting Date: April 7, 2022
Application Deadline: May 8, 2022
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (NCSL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1966 and located in the Shaker Parklands on the eastern edge of Cleveland. The mission of NCSL is to conserve a natural area, connect people with nature, and inspire environmental stewardship. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to provide a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. View our mission, vision, and diversity statement online at www.shakerlakes.org.