Wildlife Education Specialist
Purpose of Position: Part-Time position working up to 28 hours per week, year-round at Penitentiary Glen Reservation in Kirtland. Under the supervision of our Wildlife Interpretive Manager, the Wildlife Education Specialist’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to; offering educational and interpretive programs relating to wildlife and wildlife conservation issues, developing curriculum for wildlife programs for schools and public programming, developing interpretive tools such as brochures and signage, and providing other visitor services as required. Responsible for training, cleaning, feeding, and providing daily enrichment for permanent animal ambassadors. Secondary responsibilities include; providing follow through animal care and wildlife care operations that maximize efficiency and increase the quality of animal care.
Animal care - Compliance with all state and federal regulations in housing and care. Maintains accurate animal records and compiles statistics, attending conferences, meetings and workshops, and networking with the wildlife community. Assists with public relations, media, and administrative duties. Volunteer training and supervision of volunteers, assists with animal rehabilitation as required.
Education/experience: Minimum of two years working with a variety of birds of prey, mammals, and reptiles. Education experience required two-year degree in science, or equivalent knowledge and related experience. Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds, bend, stoop, and lift. Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license and be insurable under Agency’s policy.
· Prior experience with public speaking is essential.
· Proficient with computer systems, Microsoft applications.
· Ability to write and speak in a clear, concise manner.
· Ability to work with people in a pleasant, enthusiastic manner.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks in a high paced environment.
· Ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly under stressful conditions.
· Must be able to work cooperatively with co-workers and the public.
· Must be creative, flexible, well organized and innovative.